Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

London 10K 2015: Smokin' Up The Sky

So it's become a bit of a regular thing. Every year I run the London 10K in July in aid of St. Christopher's Fellowship (see donation link, right). It's hard to ask for folk to donate every year, so to give them the tiniest incentive I invite them to suggest a song that I can put on my run playlist. I dream of doing 10K in less than an hour so this year I wanted stuff that would spur me on to deliver a bit more speed. Turning up at the agreed meeting point with the rest of the team outside Embankment Tube station, I discover that they are all younger and fitter than me and some have impressive tatts, except for one who is older and fitter. Never mind. Team photos taken, we head off to Piccadilly for the start. For the past two weeks London has been enjoying that most unusual thing for Wimbledon fortnight, summer weather. Today it is still warm, but its overcast and there is a nice breeze. Perfect conditions. I've had three jelly babies so my sugar levels are at optimum level and I'm ready to go.

CRAZY HORSES - THE OSMONDS
Dedicated the Judith, Patrick and Stuart MacIntyre
Think of the Osmonds and the image of clean cut young boys with very white American teeth comes to mind. The musical style is probably not too far off Donny and Marie's "A little bit country, a little bit rock and roll". However, there is one exception. Crazy Horses is one whole lotta rock and roll. I could imaging Motorhead covering it without much loss of credibility. How do they do that neighing sound? I assume its done with a guitar, but it IS extraordinary. This is a great one to start and I picked it myself. I'm off down Piccadilly, heading for Piccadilly Circus where the missus is waiting for me.

WHERE ARE WE RUNNIN'? - LENNY KRAVITZ
Dedicated to Julie Durham
He's quite good actually Lenny isn't he? He's got that fuzzy guitar sound off-pat and this is a great one to keep me going on my run. Not sure the questioning nature of the title is quite right for me. Could have plunged me into an existential crisis within the first 10 minutes. Fortunately I'm made of stronger stuff than that and I remember that I'm running because it makes me feel good (maybe), I said I would do it (obligation is a strong motivator) and the cause is good (definitely). Up to Piccadilly Circus, pose for a picture and onward down Lower Regent Street. The course is much more compact this year so earlier starters are coming the other way throughout (or later starters as I progress). This is good, but it leads to some dodgy moments later when the kilometre markers can give you the wrong impression.

TOO FAST FOR LOVE - MOTLEY CRUE
Dedicated to Peta and Bill Leggatt.
Oh my. I have no affection for the Crue, certainly not enough to go through the rigmarole of putting in an umlauted 'u' . But today I am a slave to my sponsor's whims. If I wanted sound sexual politics I've clearly come to the wrong place. You can just see the video now, which probably came close to drummer Tommy Lee's notorious video with Pammie. On the plus side it drives along and has a good rhythm for the run. However for me, this still places Nikki Sixx and Co in the 'poodle-rock' category. This takes me along Pall Mall and up St James Street.

RED BARCHETTA - RUSH
Dedicated to Ian MacIntyre
So when you're looking for inspirational music the first place you go is the Canadian Prog Rock scene, right? Rush are the kind of band you hear on the radio (usually with their one well-known song 'Spirit Of The Radio') and think, ooh they're good, I must listen to more of them. But you never do. For the record, a Red Barchetta is vintage car that is banned some time in the future, but never mind the story, just enjoy Geddy Lee's high pitched delivery and the massively complicated drumming, guitar-work, keyboards etc.  'Run like the wind' advises Geddy, and I do, back the way I came towards Haymarket.

FASTER THAN THE SPEED OF NIGHT - BONNIE TYLER
Dedicated to Jo Ingham
Bonnie Tyler. The female Rod Stewart we used to call her, due to the sandpapery voice and the blonde mullett. She was more of a female Meat Loaf musically though. This is probably another Jim Steinman song. I haven't bothered to check, but it has the overstatement and BIG SOUND that characterises all of his work. She gets all a bit overwrought at the end and there is some disquieting waily singing in my ears as I head back up Haymarket. Someone is just trying to destroy that drumkit too.

DRAWN TO YOU - FRIDA SUNDEMO
Dedicated to Clara Fernandez
Don't know who Frida is, but she can do hefty-beat euro-pop like a good 'un. She has a good voice, a bit like Ellie Goulding. The lyrics are almost appropriate, I am running but not at the speed of light, nor in the middle of the night. In fact I'm running up the middle of Regent Street, which is quite an experience as the Georgian Terraces make for an impressive backdrop.


LOCOMOTIVE BREATH - JETHRO TULL
Dedicated to Donald Johnston
Ah. Just when I need it, this really gives me a boost, it's one of my favourites. It has a slow piano intro, ups the ante a bit and then really winds up into a chugging beat. The lyrics are lewd and crude and I almost start sprinting I'm so inspired. Lead singer and principal (well only) flautist sounds a bit nasty and intersperses the flute break with gasps and groans that all add to the fun. Down Regent Street I go, back across Piccadilly Circus and towards Trafalgar Square.

I DON'T WANNA STOP - OZZY OSBOURNE
Dedicated to Meg and Paul Fretwell
See this is the problem with letting others choose your playlist, you get this sort of thing. Actually its rather good. There's a drumbeat that might scramble your small intestine and the lyric is appropriate, if a little simplistic. Satriani-esque guitar twiddles in the bridge and above all Ozzy's semi-hoarse vocal style. How does he sing so fast and yet speak so slow? Through Trafalgar Square and up to Charing Cross Road.

FASTLOVE Pt. 1 - GEORGE MICHAEL
Dedicated to Sultana Ara
The Bubble With The Stubble is widely recognized as a 24 carat pillock these days, but you cannot diss his ear for a good bit of commercial pop.  Sultana didn't know what to pick, so I pointed out this one and described it as the one where he sings "Make a little room in my BMW". "That'll do for me", says she, "cos I drive a BMW", which is a bit flash really. It samples from Patrice Rushen's 'Forget Me Nots', as does Will Smith's Men In Black theme. The video featured George dancing about in a leather shirt I think, while getting wet. Subtle. This takes me down Charing Cross Road, past St. Martin's In the Fields and onto the Strand.

HOUNDS OF LOVE  - THE FUTUREHEADS
Dedicated to Jess Burt.
So we enter into a little Kate Bush phase. Two covers of her songs, both from the Hounds Of Love album and both very different from the original. This one is great. The almost a cappella approach to much of the melody is a great little twist. Along The Strand to the farthest point east of the course. Over halfway now.

RUNNING UP THAT HILL - PLACEBO
Dedicated to Marisa Guardiola
Second entry in the Kate Bush covers is dear old Brian Molko. It's not exactly a fast song in his hands but it is kind of relentless, and a bit of relentlessness is useful at this stage. He has a good delivery and the sparse arrangement with heartbeat bassline is very good indeed. I get back to the end of The Strand and down Whitehall, while passing a man carrying a fridge on his back round the course.

LOVE AIN'T GONNA WAIT FOR YOU - S CLUB 7
Dedicated to Bernadette Swords
We doctored a picture of the S Clubbers for our original Hatton Globetrotters picture for the Global Corporate Challenge, so Bern insisted I chuck one of their songs in. This is a little less well known than classics like 'Reach', 'Keep On Movin'' and 'S Club Party', but it has a vague running/speed connection. They've recently made a comeback after fragmenting into the world of Celebrity reality TV and West End musicals, and the world's a better place for it. This takes me past the finish line on the other side of the road and out towards Westminster Bridge.

BODY MOVIN' - BEASTIE BOYS
Dedicated to Justine Hookes
I was a callow student when the Beastie Boys burst onto the scene with 'You've Gotta Fight For Your Right To Party' and outraged the Daily Mail with their onstage antics of putting girls in cages and so on. It's a sign of the times that Rihanna will get in a cage and act inappropriately and call it female empowerment. This is quite good fun and keeps me going quite nicely past Westminster Abbey.

DON'T STOP - FLEETWOOD MAC
Dedicated to Kelvin Jay
Beloved of politicians of every stripe for it's overtly optimistic message (or maybe just saying "let's forget what we did in the past, we'll be nice from now on - promise!" *smiley face*). This is the classic Mac lineup, Fleetwood, McVie, McVie, Nicks and Buckingham. It takes me up towards Victoria station, although we don't get that far.

OUR VELOCITY - MAXIMO PARK
Dedicated to Susan McGhee
This comes as a surprise for two reasons. Firstly I'd forgotten it was on the list, which meant I was not so far along it as I thought and I was making good time, but also because it really did the job as I entered the last kilometre and approached Parliament Square for the second time. It's a good bit of British indie pop. The only thing is it reminds me of something else and I can't put my finger on it. Longtime readers of my blog will know that this winds me up no end. It has a good finish too.

GREASED LIGHTNING - JOHN TRAVOLTA
Dedicated to Everyone who sponsored me but didn't suggest a tune.
Danny's car is Systematic (fine), automatic (many are) and hyyydromatic (hmm - water powered?), but above all it's g.l.! When the movie came out in 1978, all that stuff about Rizzo's phantom pregnancy flew over the heads of the teen audience, who had been lured in by the romance of 'Summer Nights' and 'You're The One That I Want'. The Greased Lightning sequence featured the clapped out banger being transformed into a shiny dream machine with flame paintwork and they did that dance with the arms. We thought it was very cool at the time. This carries me back down Whitehall and over the finish line just before the piano intro of 'Bat Out Of Hell' can strike up.

I know I've done a good time because I've been pretty comfortable all the way round. I'm a little surprised to see that my tracking app says I've been going for 1 hour and 4 minutes. I'm even more surprised when I see the distance I've gone is 11.1km. According to my timer therefore I passed the 10K mark at 58 minutes and 45 seconds, which is good enough for me.


Thanks to all who sponsored me. There is still time by clicking on the link on the right. At the time of writing I have raised £372.76.


Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar